THE NSW Labor Opposition has given the Berejiklian and Barilaro Government an F for Fail following the revelation in this week’s State Budget that 60 per cent of its new or upgraded schools have no details attached to them.
Page upon page of schools in Budget Paper 2 – the Infrastructure Statement – carry no start or completion date or budget next to 117 of the State Government’s 190 promised new or upgraded schools. All 22 schools listed in the planning phase were also listed in the planning phase last year.
And in State Member for Lismore Janelle Saffin’s electorate, Bexhill Public School (election commitment) and Murwillumbah East Public School and Murwillumbah High School (ongoing upgrade projects), have no detail next to them.
Shadow Education Minister Jihad Dib said this year’s Budget Papers were a huge disappointment for families and communities who were waiting to find out when work on their school would progress.
“This government has a track record for receiving an A for making big announcements but it gets an F for Fail when it comes to delivery,” Mr Dib said.
Mr Dib said: “They didn’t have any detail two years ago, and they don’t have any detail today. This is a cynical exercise by the Government that will leave communities across the state angry and disappointed.”
Because the State Budget is now in a parlous state with debt set to rise to $39 billion within four years, Mr Dib said communities had every right to question the Government’s commitment.
“Given where the budget is going to be in 4 years’ time, there is every likelihood that some of those schools will never be built and that some of those upgrades will never take place. That is a broken promise on a massive scale,” Mr Dib said.
Friday, June 21 2019
MEDIA CONTACTS: Aisha Langer (Mr Dib’s office) 02 9759 5000; Peter Ellem (Ms Saffin’s office) 0437 303 875.