Help with government issues

NSW State Government responsibilities

If you have an issue with the State Government or a State Government department, Janelle can write to the relevant Minister and keep you informed of the progress and outcome.

Under the Australian Constitution, the States are responsible for everything not listed as a Federal responsibility. However, sometimes both levels are involved. Major State responsibilities include the following areas:

  • Schools
  • Hospitals
  • Conservation and Environment
  • Roads 
  • Railways and Public Transport
  • Public Works
  •  Agriculture and Fishing
  • Industrial Relations
  • Community Services
  • Sport and Recreation
  • Consumer Affairs
  • Police
  • Prisons
  •  Emergency Services

Local government

If your issue is in the following list, it’s best to contact your local council directly.

  • Animal control
  • Local Roads and footpaths
  • Rates
  • Residential and commercial development
  • Rubbish collection
  • Sporting fields and parks
  • Street lighting and signage

Federal issues

If you have a Federal Government issue you should contact your local Federal Member. 

  • Aged Care
  • Aviation and Shipping
  • Centrelink
  • Child Support
  • Defence
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Higher Education
  • Medicare
  • National Highways
  • Taxation
  • Telecommunications
  • Trade
  • Veterans’ Affairs